CHARLOTTE, NC – October 22, 2016 – Trey Starks of Puyallup, WA was Mr. Perfect in the OneDirt.com World Short Track Championships for the United Sprint Car Series Outlaw Thunder Tour presented by K&N Filters on both Friday and Saturday nights at The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Starks capped off the clean sweep of the weekend on Saturday night with the win in the 25-lap Comp Cams sponsored sprint car main event by leading wire-to-wire. It was the fourth win of the season for Starks during the 2016 20th Anniversary USCS Outlaw Thunder Tour. In two nights of competition, Starks seemingly had none.
Starks started the Friday night action by setting fast time honors with a lap around the 4/10-mile clay oval in 14.748 seconds. After being inverted to the fourth position for the heat race start, he then led all eight laps to win the Engler Machine and Tool First Heat Race. That earned him the pole position for Saturday night’s K&N Filters USCS Pole Scramble. Once again, Starks went unchallenged, leading all 12 laps for the win and earning the K&N Filters Pole Award for the A-Main.
Dylan Westbrook of Scotland, ON Canada took the second spot in the main event and Dane Lorenc of Lancaster, NY finished third. Lance Moss of Cherryville, NC came home in the fourth spot and the defending USCS National Champion Morgan Turpen of Cordova, TN was fifth.
Kevin Roberts of Washington Court House, OH finished sixth and Michael Miller of Ocean Springs, MS was seventh. Jake McLain of Indian Trail, NC took the eighth spot. Brandon McLain of Indian Trail, NC started 22nd and finished ninth to earn the Wilwood Disc Brakes Hard Charger Award. Johnny Petrozelle of Lexington, NC rounded out the top ten.
In other Friday night preliminary action, the eight-lap Brown and Miller Racing Solutions Second Heat Race was won by 2015 USCS Rookie of the Year Nick Snyder of Marco Island, FL. The eight-lap Schoenfeld Headers Third Heat Race was won by Shawn Murray of Jacksonville, FL.
Starks took the lead at the start of the race that took three tries due to a false start and a stall by Eric Riggins Jr. of Charlotte, NC. Following Starks under the flagstand on lap one was Westbrook, 11-time USCS National Champion Terry Gray of Bartlett, TN, Moss and Glenn Styres of Oschwegen, ON, Canada.
Once the race got underway, it was stopped on lap four for debris. Starks remained the leader followed by Westbrook, Gray, Moss and Styres. The fourth caution flag of the race came out on lap six when Snyder stalled in turn two. On the restart, Styres dropped back to the eighth spot, as Roberts, Miller and Lorenc got by him for the fifth, six, and seventh spots respectively.
Miller passed Roberts for the fifth spot on lap seven, and then Lorenc took over the fifth spot on lap ten. Starks, Westbrook, Gray, Moss and Lorenc remained in the top five until lap 16 when Gray suddenly slowed on the race track and brought out the caution flag on lap 17 with a cut tire. The top five for the restart was Starks, Westbrook, Moss, Lorenc and Miller.
Turpen passed Miller to move up to the top five on lap 18, and Lorenc got by Moss for the third spot on lap 20. Starks breezed home during the last five laps of the race to take a 3.784 second margin of victory over Westbrook at the checkered flag.
Eleven-time USCS National sprint car Champion, Terry Gray gave up the third position in the race and the National points lead when he had to pit for the tire change on lap seventeen. Gray recovered to the thirteenth spot by the end of the race, but, that gave the chase for the National title lead back to his team-mate Morgan Turpen. The two have been in a see-saw battle since mid-season.
The next event will close out the 2016 20th Anniversary United Sprint Car Series Outlaw Thunder Tour presented by K&N Filters. The USCS winged outlaw sprint cars will visit Riverside International Speedway in West Memphis, AR on Friday night, November 11, and on Saturday night, November 12 for the USCS Fall Nationals.
For rules and updated schedule information about the United Sprint Car Series Outlaw Thunder Tour, please visit www.uscsracing.com or call the series office at 770-460-7223 or 770-865-6097. You can also like the United Sprint Car Series Facebook page at USCS Racing.
OFFICIAL RESULTS OF NIGHT OF THE ONE DIRT.COM SHORT TRACK WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AT THE DIRT TRACK AT CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY IN CHARLOTTE, NC ON 10/21/16:
FEATURE RACE – 25 LAPS:
POS START CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN
1. 1 23s Trey Starks Puyallup, WA
2. 2 47x Dylan Westbrook Scotland, ON, Canada
3. 11 00 Dane Lorenc Lancaster, NY
4. 3 23 Lance Moss Cherryville, NC
5. 12 10m Morgan Turpen Cordova, TN
6. 14 22r Kevin Roberts Washington Court House, OH
7. 8 4m Michael Miller Ocean Springs, MS
8. 16 67 Jake McLain Indian Trail, NC
9. 22 21b Brandon McLain Indian Trail, NC
10. 18 59 Johnny Petrozelle Lexington, NC
11. 6 22 Shawn Murray Jacksonville, FL
12. 4 0 Glenn Styres Ohsweken, ON, Canada
13. 5 10 Terry Gray Bartlett, TN
14. 7 12 Nick Roberts Bloomingburg, OH
15. 19 99 Tanner Witherspoon Jacksonville, FL
16. 11 38 Tony Agin Fort Myers, FL
17. 21 27 Stan Zanchin Fort Erie, ON, Canada
18. 10 116 Nick Snyder Marco Island, FL
19. 9 1x Scott Hunter Concord, NC
20. 17 24 Danny Sams III Englewood, FL
21. 13 47 Eric Riggins Jr. Charlotte, NC
22. 20 43 Terry Witherspoon Jacksonville, FL
23. 24 51 Jay Dunham Harlem, GA
24. 23 33 Joe Larkin Suwanee, GA DNS
UNITED SPRINT CAR SERIES RACE AWARDS:
Engler Machine and Tool First Heat: Starks
Brown and Miller Racing Solutions Second Heat: Snyder
Schoenfeld Headers Third Heat: Murray
K&N Filters Pole Award: Starks
JE Pistons Top Guns Award: (4th place) Moss
K&N Filters Podium (3rd place) Award: Lorenc
Wilwood Disc Brakes Hard Charger Award: Brandon McLain (started 22nd and finished 9th)
Keizer Aluminum Wheels Top Five Award: Turpen
Saldana Racing Products Super Sixth Award: K. Roberts
Pyrotect Racing Cells Lucky Seven Award: Miller
DHR Suspension 8th-Place Award: Jake McLain
DMI/Bulldog Rear Ends Top Ten Award: Petrozelle
USCS PRESENTED BY K&N FILTERS FRIDAY NIGHT PRELIMINARY RACE RESULTS:
POS CAR # DRIVER HOMETOWN TIME
1. 23s Trey Starks Puyallup, WA 14.748
2. 47x Dylan Westbrook Scotland, ON, Canada 14.911
3. 00 Dane Lorenc Lancaster, NY 15.008
4. 23 Lance Moss Cherryville, NC 15.400
5. 47 Eric Riggins Jr. Charlotte, NC 15.415
6. 10m Morgan Turpen Cordova, TN 15.415
7. 1x Scott Hunter Concord, NC 15.561
8. 10 Terry Gray Bartlett, TN 15.582
9. 0 Glenn Styres Ohsweken, ON, Canada 15.642
10. 21m Brandon McLain Indian Trail, NC 15.669
11. 116 Nick Snyder Marco Island, FL 15.765
12. 22 Shawn Murray Jacksonville, FL 15.822
13. 38 Tony Agin Fort Myers, FL 15.867
14. 67 Jake McLain Indian Trail, NC 15.945
15. 22r Kevin Roberts Washington Court House, OH 15.953
16. 12 Nick Roberts Bloomingburg, OH 15.953
17. 4m Michael Miller Ocean Springs, MS 16.002
18. 24 Danny Sams III Englewood, FL 16.120
19. 59 Johnny Petrozelle Lexington, NC 16.210
20. 27 Stan Zanchin Fort Erie, ON, Canada 16.238
21. 43 Terry Witherspoon Jacksonville, FL 16.465
22. 33 Joe Larkin Suwanee, GA 17.248
23. 99 Tanner Witherspoon Jacksonville, FL 18.368
24. 51 Jay Dunham Harlem, GA NT
HEAT RACE RESULTS:
Engler Machine & Tool Heat 1 - (8 Laps): 1. Starks; 2. B. McLain; 3. Moss; 4. Hunter; 5. N. Roberts; 6. Agin; 7. Petrozelle; 8. Larkin DNS.
Brown and Miller Racing Solutions Heat 2- (8 Laps): 1. Snyder; 2. Gray; 3. Westbrook; 4. Miller; 5. Riggins; 6. J. McLain; 7. Ta. Witherspoon; 8. Zanchin.
Schoenfeld Headers Heat 3 - (8 Laps): 1. Murray; 2. Lorenc; 3. Turpen; 4. Styres; 5. K. Roberts; 6. Sams; 7. Te. Witherspoon; 8. Dunham DNS.
UNITED SPRINT CAR SERIES PRESENTED BY K&N FILTERS SATURDAY NIGHT PRELIMINARY RACE RESULTS:
Pole Scramble – (12 Laps): 1. Starks; 2. Westbrook; 3. Moss; 4. Styres; 5. Gray; 6. Murray; 7. N. Roberts; 8. Miller; 9. Hunter; 10. Snyder; 11. Lorenc; 12. Turpen; 13. B. McLain-DNS.
The United Sprint Car Series presented by K&N Filters would like to gratefully thank its sponsoring partners for their involvement in the 2016 and 20th anniversary USCS Outlaw Thunder Tour: K&N Filters,www.rockauto.com, Hoosier Race Tires, Engler Machine and Tool, Butlerbuilt, Wilwood Disc Brakes, Saldana Racing Products, Pyrotect Racing Cells, DMI/Bulldog Rear Ends. Hero Graphics, KSE Racing Products, Schoenfeld Headers, DSR Fuel Systems, Brown and Miller Racing Solutions and DHR Suspensions.
**Photo/Caption #23; Trey Starks streaked to his 4th USCS Outlaw Thunder Tour win of the season in the ONEDIRT.com World Short Track Championships 25-lap Comp Cams sprint car main event.
United Sprint Car Series News Release: Contact – PETE WALTON – (770) 865-6097 Email